Bosch Professional Stud Finder Gms 120 (Drill Hole Marker, Max. Detection Depth Wood/Magnetic Metal/Non-Magnetic Metal/Live Cable: 38/120/80/50 Mm, In Cardboard Box) – Amazon Exclusive Se

Bosch, GMS 120
  1. Bosch, GMS 120

Metal Setting

The standard detection setting, the metal setting provides the best detection for magnetic (≤12cm) and non-magnetic (≤8cm) metals and can detect live wires up to a depth of 5cm on various wall types.

2. Bosch, GMS 120

Live Wire Setting

While all settings detect live wires, the Live Wire setting provides best results when detecting live wires is the focus and can accurately detect them up to a depth of 5cm on various wall types.

3. Bosch, GMS 120

Drywall Setting

Specialized for use with drywall, and can detect wooden and metal studs ≤ 3.8cm deep and live wires up to a depth of 5cm. This settings should only be used if the detection of wooden studs is needed.

Bosch, GMS 120
  1. Bosch, GMS 120

Apply Voltage

Make sure voltage is applied to the cable being searched for (i.e. by turning on the light)

2. Bosch, GMS 120

Remove Interferences

Remove jewelry and gloves. Turn off nearby electronic devices that could interfere with detection

3. Bosch, GMS 120

Choose a Setting

Turn on the device and select the correct detection setting for the application

4. Bosch, GMS 120

Start Detection

Hold the tool by the rubber grip. Place the tool flat against the wall. Move 3x in each direction

5. Bosch, GMS 120

Record Results

Transfer detection results to the wall by using the marking hole

1 Apply Voltage 2 Remove Interferences 3 Choose a Setting 4 Start Detection 5 Record Results

Product Comparison

Live-wire/Metal Live-wire Live-wire/Metal Live-wire/Metal
Bosch Radar Technology
Spot measurement
Depth indication
Display max. drilling depth
Display object depth

Why does the signal change when I move along a live wire?

Twisting of leads of live wires causes variation in the strength of an electric field on the surface up to complete extinction. In case of a 3-phase live wire, the different phases of live leads cancel each other out.

Why do I have problems detecting a wooden stud in drywall?

Make sure to measure on homogenous drywall (e.g. no hidden holes or OSB walls). Choose the drywall setting before positioning the device on the wall, then wait until the LED ring turns on and start moving the device 3x over the area of interest.

Why does the device indicate live wires everywhere?

The device detects live wires by capturing the signal emitted by the live wire. If a wall has a high conductivity, this signal can be spread and over whole wall. Or, if a live wire runs parallel to rebar, all rebar might be shown as live wires.

What should I do if the device displays different results for the same measurement?

Follow the step-by-step guide when using the tool and make sure to do all the measurements the same way. In particular, move the tool 3x in each direction and keep the outer conditions constant.

Why does the device indicate metal objects on the whole wall?

The tool detects aluminium foil on underfloor heating systems and on thermal glass wool insulation as metal, and likewise detects brick reinforced w/steel fibre as metal due to the high iron content. It may show a yellow light w/red bricks or tiles.

Weight: 270 g
Dimensions: 25.8 x 16.7 x 7.3 cm; 270 Grams
Model: GMS 120
Part: 0601081005
Colour: Blue
Pack Quantity: 1
Batteries Required: Yes
Batteries Included: Alkaline
Manufacture: Bosch Professional
Colour: Blue
Quantity: 1

1. Lauren Ward says:

easy to use and accurate and at a fair price

2. Ellen Christian says:

As other reviews have said, you need to read the instructions, and give the device a brief time to self caliibrate. I used it to fasten down all the flooring in the bedroom above the boiler cupboard. It detected pipes cables and joists very successfully- there were a lot!

Golden Review Award: 3 From Our UsersBought this to check if there is something behind my apartment wall.

I see a lot of people complaining that the device shows “a wire when pointing it at their hands”.
    Well – its not idiot proof and it takes some practice to operate it well.
    Also its possible to confuse the sensor by moving it around any surface like a maniac.

If you want accurate results – follow the manual carefully (dragging it around the area several times to allow it to calibrate etc)

It does show some weird readings now and then but it gives me the idea where I can drill without a possibility of being electrocuted.

If you want to know where EXACTLy your cables/pipes are please buy a product in a different price range or call the professionals

Better safe then sorry…My mate drilled in front of me through a water pipe, indoors…

5. MayHyamxwee says:

I nearly didn’t buy this, because of the negative reviews, but I am so pleased that I did. I was even more concerned when I saw that the product box had been resealed by Amazon Prime, which to me cried out ‘Return’, but inside, it all seemed like new, so hopefully, a false alarm. Anyway, the main thing is how it works and in that respect, it’s brilliant. It correctly found pipework behind my plasterboard and I was able to map where everything was before drilling. My old detector didn’t show anything there at all, by the way, which I knew must be wrong, hence this purchase. For me at least, this detector did what it was supposed to do and I’m well pleased with it so far.

8. Demetri0612 says:

for the price it works well and does everything it should

9. FerminLawless says:

for the price it works well and does everything it should

10. HarleyKnopf says:

Golden Review Award: 3 From Our UsersWe purchased this on the advice of the developer we purchased our house from. I would 100% recommend this product to anyone attempting any form of DIY. Product comes with a handy carry case for protection and comes with a battery to get you going straight away. 10/10 product in terms of value and quality.

Bought for my partner, he is happy so I am happy

Bought for my partner, he is happy so I am happy

Bought for my partner, he is happy so I am happy

14. Cristina90L says:

It has a great central hole to mark the point to drill, but depending on the direction you place it onto the wall it sometimes gives mixed signals, this may be to some structures or re-enforcement in the wall, but it then cannot differentiate easily between life wiring and no wiring. I wonder if this could be improved or this is a limitation of the coil system. Therefore 4/5 stars.

As soon as you get the hang of this its very accurate

As soon as you get the hang of this its very accurate

17. Alastair Stevenson says:

Thought this would be great, however no better than the cheaper ones on the market really I think. Easy to use though!

18. Sonja9677pmajcfp says:

19.  United Kingdom

I’ve had a few of these over the years and they sort of work and sort of don’t. So I use other methods to check what I’m drilling into. Having had an extension built, I got the urge to put up various shelves and pictures in the house. So, knowing exactly where the cables and joists were in the new annexe, I thought I’d give this a go to test it in a known situation. It was accurate in each case. I like the way it clearly shows the distance it is away from the object, with the circle detecting just where the object is. So now I’m going to use it on the older parts of the house with confidence.

21. Product Reviews Net says:

but solid walls not so well
    must take your time and check lots of times to make sure

but solid walls not so well
    must take your time and check lots of times to make sure

but solid walls not so well
    must take your time and check lots of times to make sure

Works well for finding studs and buried metalwork (pipes), but not so good on live cables as it often beeps in any position on a wall, even a wall where I know there are no cables. This makes it difficult to accurately detect where a cable actually is. Some walls worked well and some didn’t, so I guess it is probably picking up interference from elsewhere. Placing your other hand on the wall (in the instructions) does help. The centering works really well although you do need to read and understand the instructions on how to do this.

25. Leon Hurley says:

This is a good stud / electrical / pipe finder which has several very helpful features. I chose it after some really good reviews on it. I have found its not a solution straight from the box though where you need to use it and understand how it reads the wall / floor etc. Good contact with the surface is very important to this tool and if not kept tight to the surface can give some unusual readings. I have to be honest and say I am still getting used to it!

Great tooldoes exactly what it says it will do and with a good degree of accuracy too found it great for locating items buried in walls, and this saved my neighbour from going through a load of cables running everywhere in the walls of his kitchen well worth having this in your tool box I’ve had a few locators over the years, but this is the best I’ve ownedwell pleased with i

I have used Cheaper scanners in the past that seem to beep all the time and I could never be sure where to drill. I used this scanner over known wires/pipe areas on my interor (plasterboard) walls and I always got the results expected so I have confidence in this scaner

I watched a few YouTube videos before hand on usage and always make sure my phone is no where near it.

So far for me a great bit of ki

Wanted to put some holes in a wall that had pipes/cables, and wanted to be sure i didn’t cause myself some large bills for tradesman to fix my mistakes.

Read some reviews and picked this device, and glad i did.

I’ve used this to find cables and pipes in walls, and concrete floors, and its worked brilliantly, and (touch wood) i havnt caused myself any expensive bills since,

80 sounds expensive, but is far cheaper than fixing any issues this prevents.

29. Lavonne Treskatsch says:

A must if you’re drilling into walls, ceilings and floors. Really accurate.

30. IslaEastwood says:

It may just be me, but I have not found this product to be as reliable as I would wish. Perhaps it just takes a lot of practice, but I would expect a relatively expensive meter such as this one to locate known studs and wiring quickly and reliably. It doesn’t. Sometimes it pinpoints the centre of a stud or joist very accurately, other times it misses the same target completely. I find that I need to combine the readings from the meter with another more low tech way of checking the location of studs (ie drilling little holes) before I commit to identifying the outline of the stud. Consequently it is of limited use to me.

31. Dante7596hpk says:

Be sure to read the manual and take a bit of time to learn how to use it properly, or frustration and annoyance will fall upon you!
    The device itself is well made and very capable, with good haptics and features. It’s perhaps a bit on the expensive side but otherwise no complaints.

I read a lot of reviews before buying and I’m glad I didn’t focus on the negative ones too much. This is a great tool to give safe and accurate information. I’m not a regular DIY-ER but this was easy yo use and well worth the price for the reassurance that I wasn’t drilling into cables etc.