Returnal (PS5)

1. Returnal
  2. Returnal
  3. Returnal

PS5 Features

PS5 SSD

Fast loading

Jump through portals between worlds with the PS5 system’s ultra-high speed SSD. Get back into the action with near-instant load speeds.

PS5 Adaptive Triggers

Adaptive triggers

Switch instinctively between firing modes by using a single adaptive trigger – go straight from aiming down sights to your gun’s alternative fire.

PS5 Haptic Feedback

Haptic feedback

Sense in-game actions big and small – while exploring fragments of Selene’s memories, or when firing visceral alien weapons.

PS5 3D Audio

Tempest 3D Audio

Hear the action from every direction in 3D Audio on compatible headphones – bullets flying past you, enemies circling overhead, or unseen foes.

Dimensions: 17 x 1.2 x 12 cm; 80 Grams
Model: 9814696

Hated this game to the point of wishing I hadn’t bought it. Would have 1-starred it. I am a dad player, age 36 – I used to game as a teenager, I enjoy gaming now but can’t devote days at a time and have to stop to look after kids etc. Frequently spend a month away from the console.

The inability to save was a joke before, making the game impossible to make meaningful progress in for players like me.

That has all changed with v2. The suspend cycle feature is a life saver. I can stop and come back! Also by using the cloud save upload / download trick I am managing to actually get somewhere with the game and really enjoying it. I’m not sure I’ll complete it (it’s still hard!) but I feel I’ll get my money’s worth.

In summary – the game was too difficult for average gamer dads without a save feature. Now it is fantastic and within reach of the average gamer dad. Still difficult as hell, but doable and enjoyable.

2. Paul Lilly says:

If you love a souls-like game for challenge, and are also fond of high pace bullet hell action, then this is your cup of tea.

Visuals and technical design is truly next-gen with a very Alien/Promotheus esque 80’s dark Sci-fi vibe to it. But perhaps the most impressive technical feature is the best use of Raytraced audio yet, making it possible to pin point enemies with eyes closed based on 3D sound.

The game is hard, but with souls games now appealing to millions with the launch of elden ring, I feel like this game would also be fun for all those people too. Although be warned, this is absolutely several times harder compared to elden ring, and actually probably harder than any souls games.

3. RodneyFxaw says:

4. ShannonTruebrid says:

Returnal is a fast paced sci-fi third person ‘roguelike’ shooter.

What does this term mean?

Essentially, when you die, you lose all your weapons and power ups, and restart from the very beginning.
    NOTE: there are exceptions (some upgrades are permanent, and defeating the boss after ‘level 3’, provides you with a new restart point).

This sounds intimidating, however the game’s story is interwoven into this. You are supposed to die repeatedly, and use those lessons to overcome the obstacles. If you persevere to learn the ropes, you’ll be able to blast through with minimal fuss.

Now that is explained, how is the game?

Gameplay – Returnal is obscenely addictive. It’s one of those “just one more run” games, where I found it difficult to put the controller down. You spend most of your time shooting and dodging attacks from vicious alien enemies in ‘bullet hell’ environments. The shooting is extremely satisfying.

World – The game’s world is procedurally generated, meaning no run will ever look the same as the majority of areas you explore are completely random. This allows for more fun and less predictability.

Story – Beyond the premise of being stuck in a time loop on an alien planet, Returnal has a vague storyline open to interpretation. There is a heavy use of metaphors and nothing is explicitly explained. There are gameplay sections where the pace slows down to deliver story beats.

Haptics – This game has the BEST use of the PS5 controller to date. You feel every single rumble and shake, it works fantastically.

Loading – There are no load screens, the PS5 takes care of this.

If you enjoy a challenge and can accept death as a learning experience, you should definitely pick this up.

Bought initially for my partner. He’s meant to be an avid gamer but he wimped out until I started playing it with him (1 player but I do most of the level and he dips in at the end to take care of the boss fights, although that is no small thing)! I was intrigued by Returnal’s strangeness and I am now hooked.

This is a tough and unforgiving but continuously rewarding game and if you’re a fan of creative, thought provoking, philosophic sci-fi or fantasy or surrealist narratives- try this game.

6. CaseyLahey says: